The Inspector General independently assesses and reports on the overall readiness, economy, efficiency, and the state of discipline of the Department of the Air Force to the Secretary of the Air Force through specified inquiries, investigations and inspections. SAF/IG ensures effective inspection and investigative systems, which includes administrative guidance and oversight for the military criminal investigative organization (MCIO) mission conducted by the Air Force Office of Special Investigations (AFOSI). The Secretary of the Air Force retains ultimate responsibility for all policies related to the Department of the Air Force. Within his or her areas of responsibility, SAF/IG prepares policies for approval and issues official guidance/procedures via official Air Force publications to ensure implementation of those policies.
The SAF/IG is specifically responsible for:
1. Inquiry into and reporting upon the discipline, efficiency, economy, and readiness of the Air Force through:
- The Air Force Inspection System
- The complaints resolution program
- Portions of the insider threat and antiterrorism programs in collaboration with SAF/AA
- The fraud, waste, and abuse program
- Administrative oversight of AFOSI’s criminal and counterintelligence programs
2. Proposing programs of inspection and investigation to the Secretary of the Air Force.
3. Cooperating fully with the Inspector General of the Department of Defense in connection with the performance of any duty or function by the Inspector General of the Department of Defense under the Inspector General Act of 1978 (5 USC App. § 3) regarding the Department of the Air Force.
4. Acting as the functional and force management proponent for the Air Force Inspector General system.
5. Communicating directly with the Secretary of the Air Force, Chief of Staff of the Air Force, and all other Air Force command elements on IG matters, thereby providing advocacy on behalf of all Air Force commanders.
6. Supervising, directing, and guiding the Air Force Inspection Agency.
7. Providing administrative guidance and oversight to the AFOSI.